Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_6_] John B.[_6_] is offline

Default Detroit 6-71

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 07:55:49 -0700 (PDT), "Jim H."
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 3:29:19 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 20:20:16 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

John B. fired this volley in
:

I believe that the manual dampers were actually a Detroit Diesel
furnished device as they were common on engines that ran mostly
unattended like air compressors.

Yeah... I wasn't commenting on who made them, but just when, in the line of
models, they came.

They definitely were NOT on the Mk-I boats. I spent a good deal of time in
the bilges on that model.

Lloyd

I don't know about river boats, but we had Detroit Diesel powered
supply boats and one WW II landing craft on several jobs I worked on.
As I remember, none of them had the damper shutdown valve. But nobody
was shooting at us :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

I was an engineman on the USS Mars (AFS-1), AKA 'Ichi Bon Benjo Maru', from '68 to '71. We had slanted 6-71's under the rear decks of the OMB & gig. Output was forward thru a F-N-R Allison transmission to a vee-drive. These engines were probably made around 1960 or so.

They just had an intake 'silencer'... a flat metal box directly on top of the blower with intake grills at both ends... maybe 8" x 2" (?) each. We were told that if we had a runaway, grab two foul weather jackets, life jackets, or whatever else came to hand and stuff them over the ends of the intake boxes. I never had that experience, and I'm just as glad.

Our big 7-cylinder opposed-piston Fairbanks-Morse (2071 cid, IIRC) emergency diesel generator had a spring-loaded shutoff flap in the intake tract before the blower. It was operated by an automatic overspeed trip on the engine's governor, backed up by a big polished aluminum panic button that also operated the linkage to release it manually. We tested the overspeed shut-off (in theory) every 6 months during PMS by cranking up the speed dial on the governor. In reality limited manpower let us actually test it about every 12-15 months. But it was friggin' awesome to choke that huge mass of moving metal down from just over 3600 rpm to zero in seconds... shook several adjacent compartments.

Jim H. "The Navy: It's not just an adventure, it's a ****in' dirty job!"

The simplified inlet "filters" seem to fairly common of marine
engines. I had assumed because the design team thought there was no
dirt on a boat :-)
--
cheers,

John B.