Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default OT Technology rant

On 9/15/2015 4:29 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 2:51:59 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 9/15/2015 11:58 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 12:35:43 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

Frankly, I can't see a need/desire to sit and rot my brain watching
streaming video (on a PC *or* a TV). OTOH, I have a friend that spends
his retirement doing exactly -- and exclusively! -- that! (Gee, all those
years he was working, do you think he was muttering to himself: "I can't
wait to retire so I can sit at home and watch TV all day!!"?)

I can't do much more than sit in this hospital bed and watch videos. Mostly
news and entertainment but I really like documentaries and educational
videos. If I was at home, I'd be downloading and experimenting with all
sorts of software. I've even been doing some tech support via telephone from
my bed. I only turn the TV on when I'm eating because I must take my
Chromebook off the table. The last thing I want is to be retired and if I
can get back on my feet again, I'll be working until I drop dead on the job.
I'd be even more bonkers if I didn't have my Chromebook which allows me to
interact with people from all over the world. It's so fraking frustrating to
be unable to get up and go out at a moments notice, dammit! o_O

Obviously a different situation that that of my friend (my condolences).
*He* is perfectly able to live a normal, active life. But, *chooses* to
watch TV all day long. One neighbor (70-ish) is similarly inclined
(internet or TV). Another *would* spend the day in his over-stuffed
chair -- if his wife hadn't placed limits on his TV-time (the rest of
the time, he appears to spend "eating out" -- as I never see him doing
anything in the yard, swiming in the pool, etc.)

(sigh) If that's what "retirement" is, count me out! :-/ I can't
imagine people spending a lifetime *working* -- doing something largely
because they HAVE TO -- and *not* coming up with a rich bucket list
to look forward to in their retirement (when, hopefully, you have the
time, health *and* re$ource$ to do so)!

Several years ago I was still working full time running service calls and working on installations. My friend GB who was 71 at the time and still working, died in his sleep as we were finishing up a job. Me and my brother were at the jobsite when we found out that our friend had passed away the night before. GB was a 71 year old juvenile delinquent who'd lost a lung to cancer but he couldn't put the cigarettes down. He hid them from me and my brother because he knew we'd chew him out for it. He hid his smoking from his wife, his daughters and his sisters because they'd go after him worse than us guys would. It killed him in the end and if he'd just thrown the damn cigarettes away, he'd be alive today. I'm still angry about it. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Angry Monster

I know how you feel. Both my parents died due to smoking related diseases.

--
Maggie