Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Technology rant

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 11:30:15 AM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 9/15/2015 2:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/15/2015 4:40 AM, noname wrote:
On 09/14/2015 04:23 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
It's a nice service and good idea but it doesn't work for traditional
land lines from AT&T or the VoIP service from magicJack. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Phone Monster

I've not been following the situation but isn't AT&T trying to migrate
everyone to UVerse VoIP by 2020?....or do they still need to buy some
new regulations?

AFAIK, ATT is getting out of the landline business. Here in CT they sold it
all to Frontier.

(Aging) Copper is harder to maintain. And, landlines have legislated
guarantees of service -- that don't apply to other communication
technologies.

Unfortunately, the businesses that are clinging to copper seem to be
missing the boat in terms of opportunities; you've got all that infrastructure
and every land-line that disappears represents lost revenue. Offer
"basic" DSL for a great price so you get *some* revenue from those
assets! Instead, they (here) want to gouge you for mediocre service
(which makes it easy to decide to go elsewhere for your connectivity!)

I'd like to have fiber optic service but the distribution nodes need power and once the backup power runs out for them, you have dark fiber. The copper POTS line has been the most reliable telephone service for 140 years. I'd call it a mature technology but I really like to have FiOS. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle POTS Monster