Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default drill doctor first impression

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 1:01:08 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

turn the chuck backwards after tightening it, until the blades are
straight opposite each other instead of slightly spiral

Sounds great, but I have no idea what that means.

Maybe it doesn't apply to the 350.

Near as I can guess, he means to loosen the chuck some after you tighten it to allow the spring-loaded arms to properly position the drill. Then, of course, you'd have to retighten the chuck.

If I'm wrong about this, I hope someone will correct me. Part of my time lately is spent in a shop with a badly abused collection of drills and a DD750. It seems like every time I go to drill a hole, I have to resharpen the bit, even if I've used it just recently - someone else has managed to abuse it to near death.