Posted to alt.home.repair

Default All Fired Up

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/14/2015 5:59 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

You buy wood? No tree trimmers or fruit orchards around?a Trimmings
from a woodworker?

Mesquite is not native to our area . The cherry is from a downed
tree on my property . I also have hickory , black gum (worthless
except as a nectar source for the bees and charcoal for black
powder) , red and white oak , sassafras (haven't tried it for
smokin') , maple , and several other species . I have a TLUD
charcoal stove , but haven't had the time and inclination to use it
. Last time I tried I got sidetracked and ended up with ashes ...

OK, that makes sense. I've heard of people using sassafras but never
had any. I saw where one person said it gives a root beer taste. Have you
tried to burn any to see what it smells like? Others say not to
use it.
I have hickory, oak, maple, cherry, and can get apple, peach, walnut.

I smoke my butts and briskets hotter than you do, about 275.

How long do you smoke them ? I usually go for an hour and a quarter per
pound . I have some nice walnut boards , but I'm not planning on burning
them ...

--
Snag