Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Two PIR sensors to actuate one device

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 21:26:56 +0100, Jim Thomas wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 20:06:41 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 14/09/2015 15:12, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 02:48:48 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 13/09/2015 20:22, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 20:19:43 +0100, dennis@home

wrote:

On 13/09/2015 20:11, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I'm right, if you think I'm not, prove it. A sensor needs power to
activate the relay. It cannot have this until its source circuit is
made live, and you switched that off. All the other sensor can do
is
connect live to the output of the relay contact of the first sensor.
This will not power up the first sensor so its relay remains open.

If you ignore the circuit to the lights and any manual override
switch.

Only the light in question could become live, nothing else.

And let's say someone wanted to work on the switched live - adding an
additional lamp perhaps?

They'd have checked neither PIR was turning the thing on. Why would you
assume they were on the same circuit?

So if we apply that logic, before touching anything we need to check
every light switch, PIR, FCU and anything else with a switch on it, on
any circuit, just in case some clueless PHucker decided to wire it up to
the lamp as well.

Does your horse need feeding?

What a stupid train of thought.

We'll see...

Both PIRs activate the outside light you're working on, so you check both.
Why would you check the bedroom light switch

Because with fools like you around, anything
is possible with borrowed neutrals etc.

If the device works, it was done correctly.

when you know that doesn't activate it,

But don't know what some fool like you has done with borrowed neutrals etc.

That's what a multimeter is for. And borrowed neutrals don't endanger you when working on the lights.

and you know there's nobody else in the house to press it?

Irrelevant if some fool like you has done
something stupid with borrowed neutrals etc.

Even turning the entire house off before touching anything
isn't going to protect you with fools like you around who
could have done anything, including steal power.

Then never assume, carry a meter or volt probe with you. Or you could stop acting like a Brit and have some balls.

--
Q. What's a Catholic priest and a pint of Guinness got in common?
A. A black coat, white collar and you've got to watch your arse if you get a dodgy one!