Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_6_] John B.[_6_] is offline

Default Detroit 6-71

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:55:31 -0500, Ignoramus32337
wrote:

I bought this generator in auction for $300 plus BP:

http://goo.gl/QuWrwy

It is an old 250 kVa emergency generator with 886 hours. Located
inside a GE facility in Chicago.

It has an engine that looks like Detroit 6-71 with a turbo.

I have always been kind of a sucker for those detroits (first made in
1938). Once bought, tested and resold a 3-53 and loved it. Could not
pass up a chance to buy the whole generator for $300.

Anyway, in my own mind, I would make more money if I separate this
generator and sell the Detroit separate as a running low hours engine,
and sell the generating end to be used with some other engine.

My own reasoning is that very few people would want this as a
generator, because it is really noisy and not fuel efficient and leaks
oil (they all do).

A 250 kVa generator is too big for a typical house or farm and would
only be usable for special needs, and usually companies with big money
would rather buy a $100,000 new generator that is EPA compliant, than
some old generator for $10,000.

Whereas, I am thinking, there is a million uses for a good condition
6-71 diesel engine, like old tractors, landing crafts, or who knows what.

Makes sense? Separate or not?

I see a 6-71, with marine transmission, listed on E-Bay and
https://www.powerlinecomponents.com/
has a 4-53 listed for $11,200 outright sale and $7,200 with core. The
same company has "overhaul kits" for the 71 series for from $1,000 -
$3,000.

There is apparently a demand for the engines.
--
cheers,

John B.