Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Detroit 6-71

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:55:31 -0500, Ignoramus32337
wrote:

I bought this generator in auction for $300 plus BP:

http://goo.gl/QuWrwy

It is an old 250 kVa emergency generator with 886 hours. Located
inside a GE facility in Chicago.

It has an engine that looks like Detroit 6-71 with a turbo.

I have always been kind of a sucker for those detroits (first made in
1938). Once bought, tested and resold a 3-53 and loved it. Could not
pass up a chance to buy the whole generator for $300.

No ****, Sherlock. Congrats, and YOU SUCK!

Anyway, in my own mind, I would make more money if I separate this
generator and sell the Detroit separate as a running low hours engine,
and sell the generating end to be used with some other engine.

My own reasoning is that very few people would want this as a
generator, because it is really noisy and not fuel efficient and leaks
oil (they all do).

A 250 kVa generator is too big for a typical house or farm and would
only be usable for special needs, and usually companies with big money
would rather buy a $100,000 new generator that is EPA compliant, than
some old generator for $10,000.

Whereas, I am thinking, there is a million uses for a good condition
6-71 diesel engine, like old tractors, landing crafts, or who knows what.

Makes sense? Separate or not?

What kind of engine would it take to provide 20kW from that genset?
If it's small, perhaps the separation would be a good idea.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.