Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default how much should I be charging for these shared appliances..

On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 11:17:23 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 10:05:55 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 09/13/2015 8:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:

If it's just the operating costs, I agree. But who pays
if the pump needs to be replaced? The well stops producing?
The sprinkler system needs maintenance? If all those are
treated as split costs if and when they occur, then $50
a month for electric to run what's on that list does sound
like a lot of money. ...

The well here is on separate meter and during summer months can reach
nearly $200 if sprinklers are run significantly and even during winter
$50 isn't unheard of. So on average that might be about right here
altho I've not totaled up for any number of years to see what a
long-term average might be. Of course, there's a pretty sizable yard
area and garden here so it's likely a larger usage and that's total not
just half, but may not be as far out of line as one might
think...particularly if count something for the maintenance going
forward, etc., ...

A 1hp pump runs about 7 amps, ~1700 watts. Using 13 cents/kwh that's
22 cents an hour. Water 5 hours and it's $1.10 Assuming you water
3 times a week, that would be $3.30, or $13 a month. If you watered
10 hours at a time, it's still $26 a month. I don't see how you get
near $200 unless it's a much bigger system. Given that it's a condo
with a shared well, seems the watering would probably be closer to
the $13 to $26 a month. And that's for the whole thing.

Actually, on second thought, I think my numbers are high. A 1hp, 240V
motor pulls about 7 amps, but part of that is reactive current, so
it's less than 1700 watts. If you just did a 100% efficient conversion
from 1 hp to watts, it would be just 750W. The motor isn't 100%
efficient, but it's not a resistive load either, so somewhere in
between, maybe 1000 watts is more reasonable? If so, then using my
previous numbers, it would 13 cents an hour or 65 cents to water the
lawn for 5 hours. Do it three times a week, it's ~ $8 a month.
Ten hours of watering, 3 times a week for a month would be ~$16.
Unless I'm missing something here....