Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Prefab cisterns

On 9/12/2015 8:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/12/2015 10:16 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 9/12/2015 6:40 PM, wrote:

Around here water is getting quite expensive, and then we have a

"Expensive" is a relative term. Our water uses are probably double
that of our neighbors as we have half a dozen citrus trees and a
reasonably "lush" landscape (though most of the plants -- besides
the citrus -- are chosen for their low water requirements). We
justify (to ourselves, not the community) our increased water use
by the savings we achieve from having fresh fruit, year-round OJ,
etc.

OTOH, we're not keen on having to pay the sewer fees to "treat"
the water that is never returned *to* the muni supply!

You may be able to exempt some of the water but you'd probably have to install
an outside line for irrigation only. May cost more than you'd save though.

I've already done this to ensure the irrigation water does not flow
through the water softener (why pay to soften water used for irrigation?
we have enough salts in the soil without adding to that!).

I will be monitoring water usage (domestic and irrigation) but there
is no easy way to get the city to install (and read, monthly) a second
water meter just so I can avoid sewer charges.

I suspect if this became a common practice, they would argue the "cost"
of diverting water should be born by these homeowners! You can't "win"
when it comes to rules/regs -- "waste" water and you move into a higher
price bracket; conserve water and they claim we're not using enough to
keep the sewers running efficiently; actually *reduce* your costs and
they argue that rates need to be raised to cover their fixed costs...

We are trying to hit the sweet spot in terms of conservation and cost.
It's not practical to store (in a tank) all the rainwater that we receive
over the course of a rainy season; we'd need upwards of 10,000G capacity.
OTOH, if we can get ~2,000G for "free" (cost of labor), it seems a
worthwhile undertaking if only from a moral point of view. I.e., if we
insist on growing a water intensive crop, at least we should be making
*some* efforts -- beyond our current harvesting -- to minimize our
impact on the rest of the community (so they can use the water we "save"
to put in a new housing development :-/ )

Trees are discouraged due to their water use.

On the news last week they were showing the giant sequoia trees in the
drought. Said they use 700 gallons a day.

I wouldn't doubt it. They're large organisms. Our citrus consume
a signficant amount of water -- though it can be argued that they simply
convert it to other forms (juice/fruit).