Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Prefab cisterns

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 19:16:02 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 9/12/2015 6:40 PM, wrote:

Around here water is getting quite expensive, and then we have a

"Expensive" is a relative term. Our water uses are probably double
that of our neighbors as we have half a dozen citrus trees and a
reasonably "lush" landscape (though most of the plants -- besides
the citrus -- are chosen for their low water requirements). We
justify (to ourselves, not the community) our increased water use
by the savings we achieve from having fresh fruit, year-round OJ,
etc.

OTOH, we're not keen on having to pay the sewer fees to "treat"
the water that is never returned *to* the muni supply!

[OToOH, one can argue that we've "diverted" this water somewhat
indefinitely by storing it in fruit]

stormwater run-off fee as well. The more trees you have (and the
bigger) the more discount you get on that - and even rain barrells
give you a discount.

Trees are discouraged due to their water use. All of our "local"
water is sourced from wells

Likewise here - in Waterloo Region in Ontario Canada, one of the
largest metropolitan areas depending on groundwater. Where is "home"
for you?

-- the rest is "imported" (CAP).
A property owner is responsible for dealing with the water that
falls on their property ON THEIR PROPERTY. We have no real
storm drains, etc. When it rains, the streets are awash with
rapidly flowing water. (it is a routine occurrence for motorists
to be stranded in their vehicles *or* their vehicles swept away
in these rapidly moving waters)

Counting both, it might not take too long to pay for even a concrete
cistern installation (some new homes are getting them as "standard
equipment" the last couple of years. A bonus is you can actually water
the lawn in the dry season (forbidden here all summer) so the cost of
keeping a decent looking lawn would go way down too.

We don't have "lawns"; crushed stone/aggregate covers the hard-pan.
Irrigation is "drip"-based -- bring the water to the individual
plants. Evaporative losses from irrigation (improperly applied
or applied at inopportune times) are ~40%.

If we assume half of our water usage is related to irrigation,
that's still only ~$40/month. Even a $2000 plastic tank with
*no* delivery, installation, plumbing or operational charges
would take more than 4 years just to pay for the tank. Factor in
delivery charges, a crane to hoist a (concrete) tank into place,
and the other charges and it just gets worse.

[This is why folks opt for an "eyesore" sitting above grade on the side
of their home instead of excavating for a more appealing installation]

Remember plastic doesn't last forever - you could end up with a small
sink-hole in 20 years or so - - -