Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Prefab cisterns

On 9/11/2015 5:51 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 6:24:34 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
We're considering installing a 2000G cistern. But, I'm concerned as to
how the area *above* the cistern will be impacted. E.g., I'm sure we
won't be able to park a *car* over that area as the cistern would have
compromised the ability of the "soil" to support that concentrated mass.

The question boils down to how *usable* that area above the cistern will
be going forward: walking on it, small groups of people (party-goers)
*standing* on it, etc.

I assume the actual access port will be relatively easy to protect?

Would it fit in a buried concrete septic tank with a concrete cover? That

No experience with septic systems -- but suspect 2000G would be a bit large
for a septic tank!

would protect it, or you could just use a precast concrete cover. I don't
know the dimensions of your cistern but you might consider the precast pads

2000G is roughly 250 cubic feet. So, 5x5x10, 4x6x10, 3x8x10, etc.

We're not keen on digging a *deep* hole (removing 30 yards of soil is
not a trivial undertaking!) so the form factor would be closer to
3 deep x 8 wide x 10 long -- or thereabouts. Something like:
http://gototanks.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/425x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/a/c/act2000-lpg_3.jpg

As the top of the tank would want to be *below* grade, figure a foot
or so of soil on top of it means a 4 ft deep hole.

made for use as a base for AC units and generators. Some are made of molded
fiberglass reinforced plastic and you can use more than one side by side.

We don't want to *see* that there is something buried in the yard.
Otherwise, we might as well save ourselves the excavation work and
just put it *atop* the ground -- as an ugly eyesore! I can hide
the access port (think of it as a manhole cover) relatively easily
(a planting, some sort of lawn furnishing, etc.). But, hiding
something with an ~80 sq ft "footprint" is a bit more challenging!