Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default One more post about the new kitchen

On 9/10/2015 6:35 PM, wrote:
So, I've been fabricating supports out of 1/2 x 3/4 cold rolled steel bars
in which I've drilled holes every inch along the length. A bracket on the
underside of each shelf will spring-load pegs into these brackets (two on
each side) so the shelf won't be able to move up, down or in/out until they
are retracted.

Where did you get the spring-loaded pins, that's a fantastic idea and those
pins could be used in many places?

Originally, I considered using bullet catch's as they could be installed
as "blind" hardware. But, they won't support the load (weight) -- a
natural consequence of their design!

You also need a way of "retracting" the pins in order to remove/relocate
the shelf. I.e., AS IF there was a little "lever" on the pin that you
could grasp to pull the pin back out of the hole in the support.

Rather than looking for something special/custom, I just opted to use
latch bolts:

http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/sliding-bolt-latch-69346-2871779.jpg

Place shelf in position (this is actually difficult because the shelves
are pretty heavy and you have ANOTHER shelf -- with stuff on it -- below
the shelf you are installing); slip one bolt out into its mating hole in
the upright support; move to the diagonally opposing bolt and engage it
with its support; then find the other bolts and finish up.

You can also use "security bolts" for doors (the sort that slide into
the door frame to hold the top and bottom of a door in place). These
are available in concealable forms (i.e., you'd embed them *in* the sides
of the shelves). But, that adds a lot of cost and makes the shelves thicker
to conceal the bolts.

You also have to consider how you will be fabricating the supports.
E.g., if the bolt you choose has a square profile, how are you going
to "perforate" the support with all these SQUARE holes?? :-(