Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Okene oil replacement

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 9:13:07 PM UTC-5, Dan Kozar wrote:
In article .com,
amateur wrote:

replying to MGH, amateur wrote:
mgh wrote:

One of my all time favorites finishes has been Okene Antique Oil by Pratt
and Lambert. I have used this product for over 30 years with excellent
results. The finish is applied with a small rage, the first coats
penetrate, the more coats the greater the surface build up, wax the surface
with 0000 steel wool and buff. The product is no longer on the market.

I've
tried the following, Benjamin Moore Antique Oil, Watco Danish Oil, Minwax
Antique Oil, Hopes Tongue Oil, Tried and True with bee's wax, I mixed

Minwax
polyurethane and Minwax Antique Oil none give suitable results like the
Okene. I need suggestions for a replacement. I am down the just a few
ounces of Okene and need a replacement.
Thanks
MGH

Help, I'm in the same boat. Did you get any help? Some people have told
me to use tongue oil but I have learned that some tongue oil finishes
don't even have tongue oil in them.
Do you know what was in Okene? An old timer told me it was tongue oil
and danish oil but I don't know if that is true. I don't know where to
turn. thanks, ph.

check out http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/ they sell polymerized tung
oil. It is teat treated tung oil and it works great. You can also buy it
from lee valley. they get it in bulk from SW and package and sell it. It
is a wipe on wait 5-10 minutes and wipe off. Depending on what I am
making, I apply 3-5 coats at least 24 hours apart. The more coats the
better the build.

.... Discussion, .... discussion....
..... In conclusion, the best kind of tongue oil is the teat treated kind.

Sonny