View Single Post
  #19   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster

Default Sanford Surface Grinder

I do have a manual, DoN, thanks to you. Your information was some of the most helpful I located when I started researching Sanford a couple of years back. I have passed on your design for an improved power supply for the magnetic chuck to several people. I spent a lot of time searching for all the information and photos I could find. I do have several photos of your Sanford's motor mount. Your machine is listed in my database with limited information, but no serial number.

I posted a survey on all the machining forums for Sanford owners to list their machine's features I has asking about along with the serial number. I got a good response then and I add every new machine I come across. From that database and the hundreds of photos I have saved, I was able to generate a pretty thorough time line for all the changes.

I still spot a running change every now and then, and go back to my photos to see if I can figure out when it occurred. The last one I spotted a few months ago was the placement/number of oil cups on the traversing table.

I researched Sanford in major libraries, colleges and museums like the Smithsonian. From that research I have copies of sales brochures going all the way back to the introduction of the SG in 1941. It is surprising how different the original was, I can spot one from just a photo. They made less than 400 original spec machines, but I have located a half dozen, including one completely disassembled and the owner photographed all the pieces on all sides for me.

I have 3 SGs on the bench right now, although 2 have undergone a complete restoration and will be for sale. I was lucky enough to get a bunch of NOS parts when I bought the 2 at auction along with all their spares.

Dennis