Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default drill doctor first impression

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:00:29 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"David Billington" wrote in message

They seem to be a love or hate type of machine. Any other first
hand
stories here with a drill doctor?

I bought a DD about 15 years ago and my first impression was it was
a POS and I'd wasted my money but after playing with it for a bit
and learning to use it and its quirks I quite like it and it gets
used often enough to have more than paid for itself. I like the
split point feature and often add that to drills which didn't have
that before. Mine is the older style and if you have a newer one I
thought they were supposed to be an improvement. Give it a bit more
time before you write it off.

When Curt Anderson of DD was posting here he mentioned turning the
chuck backwards after tightening it, until the blades were straight
opposite each other instead of slightly spiral. When I do that it
works pretty well most of the time. When it doesn't the angle in the
center web is wrong compared to a new bit.

No wonder there are so many bad reviews of DD, if the instructions
don't tell you how to properly position the bit in the holder.

--
I hate being bipolar ....... It's awesome!