Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default Adjacent tiles lift after repair work. Is it malpractice?

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 06:20:29 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 8:36:52 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 8:09:08 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

I think we're in agreement on the rest of the issue, maybe the
OP will clarify this point.

After posting, I see where yesterday OP posted this:

"No, he did no work on the tiles that came up. He worked on the tiles
right up to the ones that came up. "

So, I guess your interpretation is correct. I'm baffled as to how
then these adjacent tiles could suddenly pop. My suspicion would
be that the subfloor is not sound, but OP says he thinks it's slab,
so I don't get it.

Actually, here's a question. Is the OP *sure* that he didn't inject
adhesive under the adjacent tiles? Unless he was watching, how would
he know? Seems logical to me that if contractor knows that there is
a problem with loose tiles, while he has ones out that are loose, he
would inject adhesive under any available spots on the adjacent ones.
That's what I would do.

Looking at those photos, maybe there is another angle to all this that
no one has brought up yet. This isn't one or two loose tiles, it's a
lot of them and a serious problem, indicative of a major underlying
problem of some kind. The contractor is supposed to be the
pro and the OP could argue that a competent pro would never have even
attempted to fix this because it was very unlikely it could be successfully
repaired short of full replacement. If I were a contractor and saw
something like that, I think I'd advise against it and if the customer
insisted I try to fix it anyway, then I'd get them to sign a disclaimer
acknowledging the high risk that it won't be successful.

It looks like we responded at the same time. I think you now see how I interpreted the situation, so I guess we're good.

I'd love to hear the final outcome of this. Best case is the OP get's his
$900 back from the tile contractor and also gets some relief from the previous owners due to some disclosure law.

Ah, disclosure law. I'll ask about that. In New York, the seller is
supposed to sign a document stating that they have disclosed all the
known issues. There is a $500 penalty, paid to the buyer at closing,
for failing to submit that document. Any lawyer who suggests signing
it rather than paying the $500 at closing would be sued for
malpractice.

When I sold my house, I did not sign the document and paid the $500.
It is simply part of the cost of selling the house.

But I'll check with the lawyer that I used to buy this Florida house.
I don't recall getting $500 in lieu of a disclosure document. Of
course, Florida might not have such a document at all.