Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Best limb/pruning/bow saw?

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message ...

John Grossbohlin wrote:

The problem with "modern" bow saw blades is that most if not all of them
have hardened teeth, i.e., they are throw aways.

Since you brought it up, I'm curious. What about hand saws (and tree
saws) like you would find in a big-box store. Same thing (i.e. hardened
teeth)? How about their expensive counterparts sold by the likes of
Veritas Tools, etc.

I've seen both... but the majority I've check on have hardened teeth.

I pulled up the Stihl site and they have this message on some of the pruning
saw listings "Impulse-hardened blades cannot be sharpened." The impulse
hardened blade appears on their $89 saw as well as others... Other Stihl
pages list the blades as being chromed or nickeled which would seem to
preclude sharpening... but perhaps not.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/han...-pruning-saws/

P.S. this isn't necessarily a bad thing for around the house use as my
Snap-Cut pole saw/lopper is over 20 years old and it still cuts just fine.
If I used it daily in a professional capacity that would be OK too as the
blades are easily changed and are still available.