Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Buying Condo, GFCI Problems

On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 4:50:46 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
posted for all of us...

On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 9:50:09 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Were you able to negotiate the price downward as a result
of the work you had to do and costs of parts? A ballpark
number is close enough, we would just like to know if it
is a workable negotiating tactic.

Before closing, the seller did agree to credit me $700 credit for the hot water heater, my time with the GFCI, and the non-functioning microwave turntable, so yes.

About the Harbor Freight GFCIs: I have been in the condo townhome for five months now. About once a month I plug something into each of the two Harbor Freight GFCI outlets. About half the time I find them tripped and have to push the reset button. I figure either the Harbor Freight GFCIs are indeed inferior quality, or the house has some wiring fault. I see about 25% of the reviews at the Harbor Freight site say similar. I'll replace them sometime

in the next couple years with one of the super slim versions from Lowe's or Home Depot.

This gives me a lot of confidence in HF and you -- NOT. It can be a life
safety item so if you want to cheap out. I'm glad I don't have to put the
AED on your blue, lifeless body.

--
Tekkie

I have to agree. HF is a great place to buy socket wrench extensions or a random tool that you use once in 10 years. I bought a cheap $10 VOM there
to leave on my boat. In under a year, the voltage readings were off by 30%..
I wouldn't buy a GFCI there, certainly not a no name Chinese one, which is almost all of what they sell.