Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best limb/pruning/bow saw?

Michael wrote:
On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 10:56:33 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
I need to cut some 4-6 inch saplings for a project (shag bark
hickory). After I get the tree down, I need to limb it and clean up
the brush. Because of park regulations, I can't use mechanical
devices (no Stihl). I've used a bow saw in the past but that has
been truly, truly a difficult process. Maybe the bow saw is just
dull, I don't know. I wonder if there is some excellent saw out
there that really hogs out a kerf.

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for the great replies! I'm first going to try to
sharpen the saw blade because maybe I'll learn something. The next
step is to by a new blade. And the dream is to buy one of those
excellent limb saws.

FWIW - If I can reach, or easily get up to the branch, I use my limb saw
that I carry with my tree stand for deer hunting. It's got a folding blade
that is probably around 9" long or so, and cuts very fast. Very aggressive.
The one I keep with my tree stand is a good one, but I also have the same
saw in a HF model - and it performs just as well. These saws work much
better than a bow saw - faster, one handed, and the blade does not get
pinched in the cut like a bow saw does.

Here's the HF version...

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-...saw-97343.html

--