Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer breaker

On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 22:39:18 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 21:58:13 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 21:29:33 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 18:57:14 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 15:45:12 -0400,
wrote in

For driers code is 10/3 with a 4 wire plug because many driers run
only the element on 220, with the motor and controls on 120 - which
now requires a neutral. Used to be you could use the ground as a
neutral and get away with it. Not any more.

Just curious. Why "not anymore"? Has the nature of electricity
changed, or just the code? If just the code, what justifies the
increased complications?

They were just trying to make the code more consistent. The only
exceptions to the rule were dryers and ranges and since you were going
to be using 10/3 Romex anyway, why not use the ground wire that was in
there?
As I said before there were other restrictions on this.

I've seen a lot of 10/2 with ground used for driers in the past, and
8/2 for ranges YEARS ago.

I have seen stuff wired with lamp cord but that didn't make it legal.

The fact remains that the exception allowed the neutral to also be
used for the ground and the neutral has always been required to be a
white insulated conductor.
The only time any of that would be legal these days is if it was truly
a 240 only piece of equipment and you would use a 6-30r or 6-50r
receptacle.

Of course if nobody is ever going to inspect it, this is just between
you and your insurance company.

Old kitchen ranges had no electronic controls and no 115 volt lights
- basically nothing that ran on 120 volts so no neutral was required.
I'm talking 60-80 years back. when even a safety ground was almost
unheard of. The first electric drier I ever saw was a 220 volt unit -
including the motor. Not sure, it may have actually been a european
unit - it was part of a set with a front load washer back in the mid
'50s, and it was at a friend's farm (They were neighbours back in
1954)