Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default What would cause a solar panel battery charger to die?

"Edmund J. Burke, Ph.D"
Wed, 02 Sep 2015 14:47:19 GMT in
alt.home.repair, wrote:

"Diesel" wrote in message

Mon, 10 Aug 2015
04:34:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I bought one of the solar chargers they sell at Harbor Freight
for around $20. They are made to charge a 12 volt battery at 1.5
watts. Granted that is not a lot of power, but just to keep a
battery topped off, it worked fine.

I particularly bought it to keep a car battery charged for a
battery powered electric fencer, but I also took it when I went
camping, so keep my car battery charged after running my laptop
computer off the car's battery without starting the car to
recharge the battery. The computer often ran for several hours
to play movies.

Anyhow, aside from the fact that it's cheap Harbor Freight junk.
It stopped charging completely. There was a blue LED on it that
would indicate it was charging, and that LED no longer lights in
bright sun, and my volt meter shows no output.

Sounds like a weak solder joint has failed. Or, a diode...you can
take the device apart and probe it with your meter. You should be
able to determine if the panel itself isn't producing power OR the
circuit board is no longer doing anything with it.

This wood:
http://tinyurl.com/qjxhp2o

Dude, I didn't ask to see pics of your family. Please, feel free NOT
to share more in the future.

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.