Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer breaker

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 12:23:21 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
philo wrote:
Thanks , I was leaning towards a 30A , but wasn't sure . The wiring will
be new , the plan is to run 10/2 w/gnd , the run is about 25 feet or a bit
more - unless she wants it somewhere other than where I plan to put it .
The other likely location is right next to the power panel , a run of
maybe 5-6 feet .

The code in most places for a new dryer or stove requires 4 wires. Two hot
wires, the neutral and a ground.
Number 10 wire is correct for most instalations of a 30 amp breaker.

When you get the dryer , you will need a 4 wire plug to match the socket you
are going to install.

Look at the dryer where the wires attach and see if there is a strap that
goes from the neutral to the frame of the dryer. If it is there , be sure
to remove it for the 4 wire cord instalation.

Years ago the dryers and stoves only used 3 wire plugs and the neutral and
frame were hooked together, but that is not the correct (code) way to do it
now.

MOST driers come with the cord and plug attached these days - and it
will be a 4 terminal plug.