Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Ewald Böhm Ewald Böhm is offline

Default How can we tell from a WiFi card spec whether the NIC is 2.4GHzor 5GHz, or both?

On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 10:17:44 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Nope. It should be:
802.11 a == 5GHz only
802.11 b == 2.4GHz only
802.11 g == 2.4GHz
only 802.11 n == 2.4GHz or 5GHz === changed 802.11
ac == 5GHz only

Thank you Jeff for clarifying this spec:
http://i.imgur.com/hBcFWkQ.jpg

After a half hour on three separate HP calls, I learned something (I
think) that nobody told me yet...
1. HP Tech Support 888-222-0029
2. Advanced HP Tech Support 866-221-4553
3. HP Shopping Team 888-999-4747

HP: They first told me the ac card was just ac.
ME: I told them that this was unlikely, so I asked them to doublecheck.

HP: After a long wait, they told me the "ac" card was backwards
compatible, but it was only 5GHz.
ME: I told them that was impossible.

HP: Then, after another long wait, they told me it was NOT dual band, but
that it had both bands.
ME: I told them that this confused me, and I asked them to clarify.

HP: Finally, they came back and said that the "ac" card was backwards
compatible, so that it had two frequencies, but they don't operate at the
same time, so it's not dual band.
ME: I said thank you but I would like to ask you, Jeff, to clarify.

Does that HP answer make sense?
The "ac" card is backwards compatible, so, it has both frequencies, but
it doesn't do both frequencies at the same time?

What does that really mean?