Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How can we tell from a WiFi card spec whether the NIC is 2.4GHzor 5GHz, or both?

On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 12:35:07 PM UTC-4, Ewald Böhm wrote:
On Mon, 07 Sep 2015 04:56:58 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

Like Jeff says, the specs should say if it supports B/G or not. If it
does, then it has 2.4 ghz. The one thing that wasn't posted was the
link to the actual HP card so we could look.

I apologize and agree.
I had posted a screen shot of all the information that HP provides:
But that's all I have.

The problem is, if I look at a DELL or Toshiba or Lenovo laptop, I'll
still have the SAME PROBLEM of figuring out whether it has 5GHz or 2.4GHz
or both, from the specs.

So, it behooves us to be able to read the specs.

From what Jeff said, all I can tell is (is this correct?):
802.11 a == 5GHz only
802.11 b == 2.4GHz only
802.11 g == 2.4GHz only
802.11 n == 2.4GHz only?
802.11 ac == 5GHz only

Basically, if it has an "a" in the description, then it's 5GHz.
Otherwise, it's 2.4GHz.

Have it your way, you gonna buy the thing or not?