Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer breaker

philo wrote:
On 09/08/2015 10:07 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 10:59:34 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs
wrote:
Just bought our first electric dryer , wewe have always used gas in
the past . No natgas here , and propane would require installing a
big tank . So what size brbreaker do I need in the panel to power
this thing ? Current draw according to the model plate says it
dawaws 22-24 amps , but there's also the start current surge - I'm
not sure if the heating element comes on at power up .
So will a 30A breaker handle this , or do I need to go with a 40
? --
Snag

All the dryers and similar that I've dealt with, the installation
instructions spec the ampacity requirement for the circuit, which
would include the breaker and wiring. Given that the plate says 24,
I would think 30 would be the correct size, assuming the wiring
supports it.

Yep.

30 amps is pretty much the standard

Thanks , I was leaning towards a 30A , but wasn't sure . The wiring will
be new , the plan is to run 10/2 w/gnd , the run is about 25 feet or a bit
more - unless she wants it somewhere other than where I plan to put it . The
other likely location is right next to the power panel , a run of maybe 5-6
feet .

--
Snag