Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] honda.lioness@gmail.com is offline

Default Buying Condo, GFCI Problems

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 11:45:10 AM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
On 9/7/2015 7:38 AM, honda.lioness wrote:
On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 9:50:09 PM UTC-6,
wrote:

A wee stale thread, eh?

Were you able to negotiate the price downward as a result of the work you
had to do and costs of parts? A ballpark number is close enough, we would
just like to know if it is a workable negotiating tactic.

Before closing, the seller did agree to credit me $700 credit for the hot
water heater, my time with the GFCI, and the non-functioning microwave
turntable, so yes.

About the Harbor Freight GFCIs: I have been in the condo townhome for five
months now. About once a month I plug something into each of the two Harbor
Freight GFCI outlets. About half the time I find them tripped and have to

You "find them tripped" suggests they were tripped *before* you had
plugged in "something"?

I find them tripped before I plug in my vacuum cleaner whose switch is off.

[BTW, are you sure you shouldn't have been installing AFCI's, instead?]

push the reset button.

So, these are GFCI *outlets* and not a GFCI *circuit*. Do you, perhaps,
have more than one ON EACH CIRCUIT?

Only one GFCI is on each circuit. The earlier posts discuss this more. I have been plugging in my vacuum cleaner into the GFCI outlet itself (not one daisy chained downstream from the GFCI outlet).

Given the reviews at the Harbor Freight site, I am fine with remedying the situation sometime in the future by trying Home Depot or Lowe's GFCIs.

My only intention was to post an update on the Harbor Freight GFCIs, as I wrote a few months ago that I would.

Tony, I have not heard of problems with other condo units.