Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default more questions about wifi

Retirednoguilt wrote:
On 9/6/2015 11:54 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Peter wrote:
On 9/3/2015 8:18 PM, micky wrote:
After the previous thread, I'm interested in a set-top box...
oh, that includes the roku that I asked about before on one of
these groups.

Well 2 more questions:

The descriptions keep talking about HDTV. One doesn't need HD
does he? It will output to SD also?

Check the specs of the specific model of the set-top box. Some
newer ones only have HDMI outputs. Other newer ones have both HDMI
and composite video.

Are some of them wireless and can I expect it to stream
continuously with wireless B/G? Or do I have to buy a new
router with N? Remember, I don't have HiDef, and I don't expect
to get it. If I buy with AC, will it still suppport B/G, which
all my other devices are?

Again, check the specs. Most newer ones are retro compatible with
the older WIFI standards.

Just don't buy a set-top box without consulting the specs and you
won't have an unpleasant surprise. And again, to emphasize,
different models from the same manufacturer often have different
specs.

To summarize, OP has to look at both ways. What you have and what
you're connecting to it. Simplest is HDMI but there are converters
like VGA to HDMI, component to HDMI, display port to HDMI, etc. If
not carefully planned, hook up can get very messy. Easiest is get a
entry level HT receiver with speaker kits in a box. Then A/V
receiver becomes hub of every thing. Every thing connects to A/V and
one HDMI cable to TV set.Older A/V receiver can be had for like
~100.00. You can have simple stereo set up with two speakers and
start from there upto 7 speakers plus two woofers. Surround sound is
nice to have. WiFi mode is downward compatible.

Tony,

Not all home theater receivers provide video output in a different
format than the format of the video input. My home theater is a Best
Buy Insignia unit - which came with all the speakers; a unit that meets
your description of "entry level HT receiver with speaker kits in a
box". The receiver appears to be a re-labeled Onkyo unit. I have HDMI,
component, and composite input sources connect to the HT receiver.
However, I found to my surprise, consistent with the user's manual, that
the receiver outputs those video sources only to the same format output
jacks on the receiver. Fortunately, my HDTV has sufficient input
sources of each type so I don't have a problem. In summary, my HT
receiver won't output a composite or component video input signal to the
HDMI output jack. If an when I ever replace my HT receiver, I'll make
sure the replacement can do that. Peter

Your only choice is then using little converter box. 3 cable component
cable/digital audio in and HDMI out. Some time ago wife won a HT in a
box, LG brand in a raffle. It has HDMI o/p to HDTV. Since we did not
need it, I sold it to a neighbor's kid for 100.00. I never like Onkyo
receivers.
Their power supply seems to be little under rated. Unit runs always too
hot to my liking. I was a fan of Denon stuff. Now I moved up to Anthem
receiver and all Paradigm speakers except PBS 250W 12" Woofer. When
organic TV price comes down I'll upgrade TV set.