Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Dryer Repairman Substandard Troubleshooting?

On Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 8:52:56 PM UTC-4, M. L. wrote:
Here are some comments about your situation:

1. Buying appliances on Craigslist is fraught with peril.
Almost all sellers lie to you. Getting the appliance home
and finding it doesn't work is common.

After all was said and done, there was nothing wrong with the dryer.
It simply needed a compatible gas line adapter.

From everything I've seen here, while that is possible,
maybe even likely, you don't know for sure what was wrong
with it. I'm curious, you keep saying it was the wrong "adapter".
What exactly is wrong with it? I think what you really mean
is it's the connector that goes from the flex line to the gas line.
I would think that the size would be determined by the size of
the lines it mates to and there wouldn't be a different size
depending on the appliance. Did you actually compare the size
of the opening to a new gas line connector for a dryer?

Also, how much gas flow does a
dryer need compared to a gas grill? I wouldn't think they
would be much different, a gas grill has some substantial
burners too and if it can supply a gas grill, I would think
it would supply a dryer too. And even if it was less, you'd
think that maybe then the dryer would light up, but not work
at full capacity.

As a side story, one time I was hooking up a brand new LG
dryer and bought a gas line at HD. Dryer wouldn't fire up,
wound up calling LG for warranty service. Service guy found
a nickel inside the end of the connector that goes to the
gas pipe. Obviously someone sabotaged it at HD. I never
looked inside it, just screwed it on.

The schmuck does sound like a lying skunk, saying it's still
on his truck, he hasn't taken it to the junk yard yet.
Makes no sense, why would he pay you $20 to just take it to
the junk yard?