Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Reusing computer A/C cords?

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
"Robert Green" writes:

While I realize you're not condoning the practice, I've done that in the
past but now I use "clamps" designed to keep long cords coupled. The
reason? Tying the extension cords in a half-hitch causes the cords to

bend
180 degrees where the wire exits either the plug of one cord or the

socket
of the mating one. I've had the insulation break from the stress and

reveal
the invidual wires.

You're not doing it correctly, then. Make the half hitch about a foot
below the plug/socket..

It wasn't until I found a picture on the net that I realized how you were
tying the cords. Most of the hits I found looked like this:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/9gm6F.jpg

I think what you're talking about is he

http://p-fst1.pixstatic.com/52555a51...405_s.fit_.jpg

Takes up a little bit more cord but it does relieve the sideways strain that
the 9gm6F image shows. Thanks for the info, Scott.

There's still going to be some strain on the cord because the two cords that
enter the knot in parallel will eventually end up going in the opposite
direction. That's far better than the often-used overhand knot that often
puts extreme side-wise strain that almost always yanks the individual
conductors out of the jacket.

FWIW, I'd still opt for the barrel-shaped connectors that have adjustable
strain relief, protection from run-over damage and that present an easier to
move around profile. I would imagine that the half-hitch can snag pretty
easily on stumps and shrubs.

--
Bobby G.