Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frozen pipes under ground in upstate NY cold winter

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 12:26:47 AM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/6/2015 11:56 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 07 Sep 2015 03:44:01 +0000, GMC
wrote:

The U shaped pipe under my garage floor has frozen the last 2 winters in
the lengthy extreme cold spells. I have been away for 10 weeks each of
the last 2 winters. The first winter my house watcher flushed toilets
and ran water once a week.

Why? Do you mean that when he came over he wanted a drink of water
and needed to use the toilet?

In ten weeks the water would dry up and sewer gasses would get in the
house. This can be prevented by pouring cooking oil to prevent
evaporation.

Redirect the condensation from your furnace, at least when you are not
home. Even if you have to run it out through a tube through a hole in
the wall. And

Any suggestions on a solution?

Make sure it does not freeze going through the wall though.

Sounds like something is not right.
What is frost line there? Hard to believe
P trap freezes if every thing is done right.

It's Global Warming, err, I mean Global Cooling, err, I know! Climate Chaos! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Climate Monster