Posted to alt.home.repair
taxed and spent taxed and spent is offline

Default Adjacent tiles lift after repair work. Is it malpractice?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 5:02:51 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 4:34:02 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
taxed and spent wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
dgk wrote:
I moved into a 34 year old single floor home.I think it's a
concrete
slab. I knew that some tile work needed to be done since the
ceramic tiles (9 1/2 " squares) were lifting off the floor in the
hallway entrance. I hired a local contractor that came recommended
by the real estate agent. The contractor walked around the house
hitting all the tiles with a broomstick handle so he could tell the
general state of the tiles.

Sometime in the past, work had been done in the same area. Twelve
tiles had been removed and replaced with different tiles to form a
diamond pattern by the entrance hallway. It looked really nice and
left some used spare tiles that were in the garage.

The guys reset the tiles, using six of the spares to replace some
of
the others that had cracked or been nicked over time. They injected
adhesive between some other tiles to make sure that they didn't
come
up. The whole job was just under $900, paid by credit card.

The next morning I walked through the kitchen, heard a CRACK, and
over a 10 second period watched as tiles adjacent to the repaired
tiles lifted up and one even cracked in half and jumped about 6"
into the air. Around 20 tiles (9 1/2 " tiles) are now no longer
attached to the floor.

The contractor says that this happens sometimes and that the
contract specifies that they aren't responsible for damage to
nearby tiles, and that if this type of thing happens it usually
happens when the guys are actually doing the work. The owner
offered to
repair the damage
for half price, around $700. But he also said that he couldn't
guarantee that the other kitchen tiles would stay in place and
suggested that it would be more cost effective to have someone redo
the kitchen tiles. There also aren't enough spares to replace all
the tiles that cracked.

I brought the tile that jumped into the air to a nearby tile store
and he says that he tile didn't have enough adhesive on it to begin
with. But the tile guys at Home Depot say that this should not have
happened and that the contractor injected too much adhesive under
the tiles. I'm a reasonable guy. If this was just something that
does
happen to
even experienced tile guys and it was just bad luck, then I allow
the payment to go through and don't cause a fuss. But if you folks
think that it was an error by the contractor, then I'll stop the
charge and complain to the state business people.

So? **** Happens or Bad Work?

I cannot imagine anything that would lift up adjacent tiles, the
sole
exception being something that expanded as it cured (like foam). If
the latter, it should not have been used...the only thing that
should be used to stick down floor tiles on a slab is either thinset
(cementatious) or mastic and, personally, I wouldn't use mastic.

What I do know is that you were screwed royally on the price...$900
to replace 12 tiles is ridiculous..

reading comprehension is just not your thing, is it?

So enlighten me, O Learned One. OP said 12 tiles were worked on and 6
of
the 12 were replaced. It is a ridiculous price, shouldn't take one man
more
than half a day even if he loafed most of the time.

It's not clear exactly how many were actually replaced, but I agree
with you that from the description, it doesn't sound like it was a lot.

Let's do some math.

"Around 20 tiles (9 1/2 " tiles) are now no longer attached to the
floor.(snip)
The owner offered to repair the damage for half price, around $700."

2 X $700 = $1400
$1400/(around 20) = around $70/tile before the discount (Wow!)

"The whole" (original) "job was just under $900." Can we assume no
discount?
None was mentioned.

(just under $900)/(around $70/tile) = just under, around 12.86 tiles
repaired
as the original job.

I think my math is correct, but I hope not. 900/(2*700/20)= 12.86

$70/tile for a repair job? As I said earlier...Wow!

I think this is a case that is screaming for the facts to be known.
Something is not right in the OP, even if we try to parse out the language.