Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default more questions about wifi

Peter wrote:
On 9/3/2015 8:18 PM, micky wrote:
After the previous thread, I'm interested in a set-top box... oh,
that includes the roku that I asked about before on one of these
groups.

Well 2 more questions:

The descriptions keep talking about HDTV. One doesn't need HD does
he? It will output to SD also?

Check the specs of the specific model of the set-top box. Some newer
ones only have HDMI outputs. Other newer ones have both HDMI and
composite video.

Are some of them wireless and can I expect it to stream continuously
with wireless B/G? Or do I have to buy a new router with N?
Remember, I don't have HiDef, and I don't expect to get it. If I
buy with AC, will it still suppport B/G, which all my other devices
are?

Again, check the specs. Most newer ones are retro compatible with the
older WIFI standards.

Just don't buy a set-top box without consulting the specs and you won't
have an unpleasant surprise. And again, to emphasize, different models
from the same manufacturer often have different specs.

To summarize, OP has to look at both ways. What you have and what you're
connecting to it. Simplest is HDMI but there are converters
like VGA to HDMI, component to HDMI, display port to HDMI, etc. If
not carefully planned, hook up can get very messy. Easiest is get a
entry level HT receiver with speaker kits in a box. Then A/V receiver
becomes hub of every thing. Every thing connects to A/V and one HDMI
cable to TV set.Older A/V receiver can be had for like ~100.00. You can
have simple stereo set up with two speakers and start from there upto 7
speakers plus two woofers. Surround sound is nice to have. WiFi mode is
downward compatible.