Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Sears Garage Door Opener Question

On 9/6/2015 7:28 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Don Y wrote:
On 9/5/2015 7:18 PM, danny burstein wrote:
[anip]

Oh, and if the fixture uses standard Edison base medium threads,
replace the incandescents with LEDs.

+1

You'll appreciate the much longer lifespan and fewer "oull
out the rickety ladder" deal..

It also minimizes the chance of the plastic "shade" getting
burned/discolored when someone installs a too bulb having too
large a dissipation.

Must be my age, but though I've used compact florescents for many years in lots
of places in our home it just never dawned on me to put one in the garage door
opener.

I'm not sure a CFL will like being turned on and off as often as
the lamp would experience WHEN THE DOOR DETECTS A JAM (which usually
blinks the lamp at ~1Hz). It may prematurely age the inverter in
the lamp.

I had a problem with the load represented by the 60W (?) incandescent
causing arcing in the base (cheap "fixture"). After replacing the base,
I opted to install LED lamps hoping that the 4-5 fold reduction in
power would make this less of a problem (of course, there's no
guarantee that the initial *surge* in the LED isn't just as bad!)

I just took the bulb out of the junked opener and screwed it into the new
opener. Speaking of screwing in a light bulb...Click below:

http://wkrp.org/jeff/lightbulb.html