Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Sears Garage Door Opener Question

On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 8:17:42 PM UTC-4, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
The Sears Craftsman garage door opener which I installed myself when we
built our home 30 years ago was finally giving up the ghost and stopping
or reversing intermittently when asked to open or close.

I'd serviced it over the years including installing a new worm gear and
wheel when the original ones finally wore out, replacing the motor run
capacitor and fixing a cracked solder joint on one of the power
transformer pins.

I figured it was time... So I bought a new Craftsman opener and
installed it today.

The old opener was from an era before the use of a photoelectric safety
beam across the bottom of the door opening, but the new one I installed
naturally has them.

All seems to be working well, but one thing has me wondering. The door
was open, it was daytime and I walked into the garage to grab a
gardening tool I needed outside.

When my leg crossed the photoelectric beam the Opener's light came on
and stayed on for the same time it would have if I'd just opened the door.

Is this a normal action for Craftsman openers? I can live with it, but
it sure seems uneccessary and won't help the life of the light bulb,
will it?

Do others with Craftsman openers see the same effect? I'll await words
of wisdom from the group.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I have a Craftsman that is ~15 years old and it has that feature.
I've seen other makes that do the same thing. It's a great feature,
lights up the garage at night if you've had the door open and
come in from outside.