Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bench grinders crap?

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

If the centerholes are sufficiently angled with respect to the
axis of the wheel, and are close enough to the diameter of the grinder
shaft, it may indeed force it to wobble.

AGAIN... NOT-A-CHANCE, unless you don't seat the flange washers. If you
don't do that, you have no reason to expect the wheel to run true, and if
you DO it with a wheel so badly bored that it would run wobbly, you'll
break the wheel.

This is really a dumb discussion. If the darned flanges are running true
to the shaft, the wheel HAS TO. c'mon! I've bought dozens of wheels
for my own grinders over the decades. I've never found even 'dollar-bin
seconds' to run so badly they couldn't be 1) mounted square, and 2) trued
radially.

I certainly don't use them now, for their cutting characteristics, but
when I was in my 20s and 30s, I used them a lot (for being broke all the
time).

Lloyd