Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default What use is WiFi on a Costco Viso TV?

On 9/5/2015 2:05 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 1:33:53 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

OTOH, our *Gateway* plasma TV is now just over 12 years old (August 2003)
and still has a delightful picture. So much so that I've not spent any
serious time trying to repair the two (considerably newer) Vizio sets
I've been given.

[And Gateway had a *terrible* track record with plasmas!]

I have had and have a few Samsung monitors (and a couple Dell/Samsung). No
problems with them.

I used to volunteer at an organization that recycled electronic products.
So, took note of the stuff that came in (broken). Of course, if you see
a lot of something, it could mean it's a crappy design *or* it could be
that they have 98% of the market!

And I have heard of problems with Samsung's appliances (and LG's), but they

We were very disapppointed with these pieces. In fact, we found a refrigerator
that we fell in love with -- until we saw Samsung's name (and walked away).

know how to make an HD TV IMO. I have a 22" Gateway monitor, but I wasn't
aware they ever made TV's?

Long time ago. Apparently had some "support" problems (no doubt someone
else made the TV for them; so, if their relationship with that supplier
soured, they would be unable to support their customers!)

OTOH, this one has been just fine for a LONG time (but predates HDMI,
ATSC, etc.).

I'd had excellent luck with JVC video products in the past (VCR's, TV's).
When we started looking for a TV as a replacement for this one, I
naturally thought of them. But, JVC seems to have "leased" its name
(reputation?) to some chinese (?) firm. I'm not keen on rolling
those dice!

Thankfully, we're not couch potatoes and don't need a room dedicated
to mushrooming our butts : So, the TV issue is relatively unimportant
(I can watch on a 24" monitor in a pinch; on a widescreen laptop for DVD's;
etc.)