Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What use is WiFi on a Costco Viso TV?

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 7:56:22 AM UTC-4, Ewald Böhm wrote:
On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 17:33:08 -0400, Nil wrote:

Normally you're given a user interface that will allow you access to the
features built into the smart TV, which will include apps to access
Internet content providers like Youtube, Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, and
others.

Is this correct yet?

1. You hook up this "smart TV" to the power but to no other wires.

Every Smart Tv that I've seen included normal inputs, eg HDMI,
composite video, antenna, etc. just like TV's before the
smart tvs became available. They work just like any other HD
TV, with wifi added in addition. I would think almost all smart Tvs
are hooked up to cable, sat, or antenna just like they were before,
with the wifi being an additional way of using them, if you choose.

2. The WiFi connects to your router, so the TV is "on the net".
3. The TV has built-in apps to get movies on Youtube, Hulu, Netflix.

Yes

4. Some TVs have a web browser - but they're so slow as to be useless.

IDK about the speed of the web browser. With fast processors available
today, at modest prices, I don't see why they can't make a web interface
that performs well.

5. Some have a DirectTV (coax wired?) input in the back of the TV?

Per previous they have all the normal TV inputs.

6. Some TVs have built-in games.
7. You can't *add* anything; it's all built in to the TV OS.

Is that the sum total of the advantages of WiFi on a TV?

I think that covers it.