Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default more questions about wifi

On 9/4/2015 3:31 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 04 Sep 2015 00:15:01 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:
micky wrote:
After the previous thread, I'm interested in a set-top box... oh, that
includes the roku that I asked about before on one of these groups.

Well 2 more questions:

The descriptions keep talking about HDTV. One doesn't need HD does
he? It will output to SD also?

Are some of them wireless and can I expect it to stream continuously
with wireless B/G? Or do I have to buy a new router with N?
Remember, I don't have HiDef, and I don't expect to get it. If I buy
with AC, will it still suppport B/G, which all my other devices are?

A 54G will be fine , I streamed all kinds of video and audio sometimes
simultaneously . And just because HD content is available doesn't mean you
have to use it - your old CRT TV will be just fine . What kind of cable are
you going to use from the ROKU to your TV set ? Mine has only component and
HDMI outputs ... no RF hookup .
Right now I'm watching Rush Hour from a DVD in a computer - I have 4
inputs hoked up , Roku and the comp on the HDMI inputs , a DVD player on the
component (yellow/red/white) and the satellite receiver on the RF input .
BTW , you really should consider a newer TV , we got a 32" LED/LCD last
spring and just love it . You can get a pretty nice unit for under 300 bucks
, often nearer 200 if you catch a sale . Available inputs are going to be
the biggest problem with older TV sets ...

It is not the mode whether G or N or AC. It is a matter of minimum
constant download speed is needed for good media viewing. I'd say

But G is slower than N which is slower than AC, so I think the wireless
too can bottleneck the signal. So I think the mode does matter.
Except Terry tells me that B/G is fast enough.

at least 5mbps and up. No one likes stuttering video/audio. I have
50/3 service from my ISP. Always I can have download speed ot 50mbps.
I real time stream always.

IMO, G isn't fast enough for me and you are correct, AC is thus far the
fastest but here's how it works. If you have a G router, any other
device with G/N/AC capability will only use G. If you have an N router,
any device with G/N/AC will use only N and of course, if you have an AC
router, any device with AC capability will use AC. If a router has AC
capability but a device has max of N, it will only use N. Bottom line,
BOTH devices require the same capability in order to meet the speed they
advertise.

Also keep in mind, even if you have the fastest router and device, your
speed will still depend on what you're paying your provider.