Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Reusing computer A/C cords?

On 9/3/2015 11:39 PM, Robert Green wrote:

[flag style cable labeling]

Unfortunately it takes a while to get the hang of that and the downside is
that if they don't mate perfectly, they leave adhesive exposed that picks up
dust boogers, bugs and worse. The do have one nice feature - you can label
both sides and have a better chance of seeing what's on the label.

I've "solved" that by just standardizing on how I apply the labels
to the cables. Specifically, with the "end" of the cable in my right
hand (and the balance trailing off to my left), the label is applied
so that it can be read. As I can always *see* where the connector
*is* (or, should be!), I know whether the writing will be rightside
up or upside down based on my location wrt the cable's "service loop"

... then, when you pull the cable through a bundle of other cables,
you discover the "flag" gets stuck *or* tattered.

I used to use those sorts of labels and still do when they aren't likely to
ever have to be pulled through a hole that will shred them.

They make some ty-wrap style labels that are like a "T" -- where the
top portion of the T is intended to be labeled. But, now instead of
the "knot" on a tywrap that wants to get snagged as you pull the
cable, you've instead got this 1/2 - 3/4 inch wide RIGID piece of
nylon in the way.

When/if I need to replace a cable (e.g., if the device to which it
is attached gets moved a few feet from its present location, the OLD
cable will be too long or too short -- needing replacement), I have
to *pull* the old cable out of that bundle and thread a new one in
its' place.

You really want the label NOT to change the effective diameter of the

cable.

Definitely. Also, a cable labeled with a partially or completely torn
flag-style label is a liability. When I do it that way, I also mark the
cable end with a Sharpie. Lots of times I really believed I could "just
tell" what cable belonged where from memory. Now I am smarter because I
realize how dumb an idea that was. (-: I often use colored crayons to hold
against the wire as I pull them. My old Crayola flip-top box of 78 crayons
has at least a dozen that are noticeably different colors. Burnt sienna,
burnt umber, burnt offering g are all just dark shades of brown. Wait,
there's no burnt offering crayon!

grin In a pinch, I can rely on a cable tester to sort out which "near
end" is tied to which "far end". But, that makes a bigger project out of
it all.

Remember that you *will* need to sort out which cable is which BEFORE
you install them; then, take measures to make that inevitability easier!