Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default more questions about wifi

In sci.electronics.repair, on Thu, 3 Sep 2015 21:39:23 -0700 (PDT),
whit3rd wrote:

On Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 5:18:09 PM UTC-7, micky wrote:
After the previous thread, I'm interested in a set-top box... oh, that
includes the roku that I asked about before on one of these groups.

Smart TVs, BluRay disk players (maybe DVD as well), and settop boxes
all are available with network (wired, wireless, or both) and make streaming
connections. Most will connect to a variety of internet services (or local
home servers). Game consoles count as 'settop boxes'.

Okay.

The descriptions keep talking about HDTV. One doesn't need HD does he?
It will output to SD also?

Not necessarily. There's LOTS of boxes with these features, some have
analog outputs, either RF/analog or composite video, or both. Or, neither.

But even if the output connector is, say, only HDMI, it can still be set
to output a standard definition signal, can't it? What if someone
has one HD tv and another SD tv? Does that mean he can't use the
expensive box?