Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default more questions about wifi

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 3 Sep 2015 19:33:59 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

micky wrote:
After the previous thread, I'm interested in a set-top box... oh, that
includes the roku that I asked about before on one of these groups.

Well 2 more questions:

The descriptions keep talking about HDTV. One doesn't need HD does
he? It will output to SD also?

Are some of them wireless and can I expect it to stream continuously
with wireless B/G? Or do I have to buy a new router with N?
Remember, I don't have HiDef, and I don't expect to get it. If I buy
with AC, will it still suppport B/G, which all my other devices are?

A 54G will be fine , I streamed all kinds of video and audio sometimes
simultaneously . And just because HD content is available doesn't mean you
have to use it - your old CRT TV will be just fine . What kind of cable are
you going to use from the ROKU to your TV set ?

The Roku or whatever will probaby input to the DVDR, which already
connects to the TVs via composite, left, and right RCA cables into a RF
modulator, and from there via co-ax to all 8 tvs (with a couple of RF
amps along the way.. I found that every two splitters I have to put an
amp.)

There would be a possibllity of using Y-connectors and going into the RF
modulator directly, but I think the first way, I can use the channel
selector to select the Roku when wanted. There are "channel
selectionss" for the set of jacks1, set of jacks2, and set of jacks on
the front of the DVDR. And I have remote controls on all 3 floors,
with transmitters that get relayed to the DVDR. Not installed but I
also have a remote controlled A-B switch, but only one remote for that.
I'd probably end up having to walk upstairs to change from DVDR to Roku

Mine has only component and
HDMI outputs ... no RF hookup .

Right.

Right now I'm watching Rush Hour from a DVD in a computer - I have 4
inputs hoked up , Roku and the comp on the HDMI inputs , a DVD player on the
component (yellow/red/white) and the satellite receiver on the RF input .

If I could just buy one TV with wifi and a digital tuner and all those
inputs**, I'd do it, but what I need is an output to go to the other tvs
in the house. If I had it to do over, I might have run left, right,
and composite everywhere, but too much work for me now. What was
especially hard was snaking the co-ax though the ceiling of the basement
"family room". Down 6 inches and across 25 feet, to the laundry room
with no ceiling. Maybe I used two snakes. But I made no provision
for running more wires so it would be even harder to do more wires now
than it was to do one wire the first time. I know there is wireless
transmission, but then I'd need 6 or 7 receivers (I rarely use the tv
in the attic these days, mostly for aiming the attic antenna.) ,
including one in the bathroom where there is no room, and wired is
certainly reliable. I"ve had those 2 signal amps running 24/7 for 31
years without a problem. But better to have 2 power amps running.
they don't use much power, than to have 6 receivers running.

**Even the big ones only have speaker outputs and maybe unamplifed sound
outputs (to go to the stereo) but I only want a small TV in the bedroom
where the DVDR is, and they usually don't even have speaker outputs
(although they need them the most.) . In the bedroom I use the earphone
jack but run it to a mechanical rheostat (mounted in a Pong remote
control box), and from there to an amplifiied computer speaker. So I
can control the volume with a knob instead of having to use the remote.

BTW , you really should consider a newer TV , we got a 32" LED/LCD last
spring and just love it . You can get a pretty nice unit for under 300 bucks
, often nearer 200 if you catch a sale . Available inputs are going to be
the biggest problem with older TV sets ...

--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus