Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Best limb/pruning/bow saw?

On 9/3/2015 8:40 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/3/2015 10:00 AM, Jack wrote:
On 9/3/2015 9:32 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/3/2015 8:18 AM, Jack wrote:
On 9/2/2015 9:34 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/2/2015 8:12 AM, Jack wrote:

I have a battery powered Sawzall with a pruning blade and it works
fantastic. Cut's up to about 5" branch like butter. Haven't used my
bow saw since getting this blade.

Actually tree wood is like lumber. ;~) I always used a standard demo
blade to trim trees with my recip saw.

Green Tree wood is a lot different than dry lumber. Look at the teeth
on a bow saw, then look at the teeth on a standard demo saw designed to
cut lumber and metal. There is a big difference. A pruning blade for
your reciprocating is like a bow saw blade, and cuts at least 3 times
faster and with far less effort than a standard demo blade.

Try cutting across a 2x4 with a hack saw, then do it with a standard
carpenters crosscut saw. You will quickly see that both work, but
one is
much better at it.

So I just checked 3 pruning blades for a recip saw, Diablo and
Milwaukee. 5 TPI My Recip has 6 TPI. The depth of the gullets look
like they might be a bit deeper by looking at the picture. But all
three are closer to my demo blade than a bow saw blade.

The gullets on my Milwaukee pruning blade are a LOT deeper than on the
demo blades, and the teeth are not all equal length, and the points are
sharper on the pruner.

Then that would probably make a lot of difference.

Regardless a standard demo blade cuts plenty fast. so cutting a 4" limb
takes me 9 seconds, with a dull demo blade, vs 3, I can live with that
and save the money.

Do what you want. Too cheap to spend $5 on the correct blade that cuts
way faster because it is designed for the job. Do you also cut lumber
with a hack saw? Same difference. I've used both, and if you have much
pruning to do, the pruning blade is well worth it.

I trim 3~4 limbs a year.... And in my new house I have not trimmed a
limb in 5 years. ;~)

Oh and FWIW I was not trying to undermine the efficiency of using a job
specific blade for pruning. I have an old recip saw that I hardly use
any more and you change blades with a hex wrench so that is a PIA for
me. I just wanted to mention that the demo blade works fine if it is in
the saw and you don't have many limbs to cut.

I almost bought a pruning blade for the saw 10~15 years ago but only had
a few limbs to cut. I decided to try the demo blade and was pleased.
BUT once my 4 year old tree gets big enough that loppers no longer work
I may try out the pruning blade.