Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia[_9_] Jeff Wisnia[_9_] is offline

Default Reusing computer A/C cords?

J Burns wrote:
On 9/2/15 2:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 2:25:49 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I have a big bunch of computer type power cords but very few A/C
extension cords. Any easy cheap way to convert a few? All I can
think of is to cut off the female plug and put on a standard
three-wire A.C female plug. Am I overlooking an easier cheaper
way?

Your method should work fine other than the fact that the cords
aren't very long. Once you start stringing them together for length,
you'll run into issues with sections unplugging, possible voltage
drops at every screw/plug-socket connection, etc. Just doesn't seem
worth the trouble or expense to get any decent length of cord. You
might as well just go buy one.

Yes, in view of the cost and labor of installing a female plug, it seems
more sensible to buy a 25-foot 16-gauge extension cord than to make a
6-foot cord of similar gauge.

I've always found 100-foot cords a hassle. It would be easier to work
with 25- or 50-foot cords and connect them when necessary. It would
also be cheaper to replace a shorter cord in case of damaged insulation.
There used to be clamps to latch connections together. I haven't seen
any lately.

The common thing that seems to be done nowadays is to tie the two ends
of the cords with a half hitch before connecting the plug and socket.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)