Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Reusing computer A/C cords?

On 9/3/2015 12:19 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 12:06:42 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

When/if I need to replace a cable (e.g., if the device to which it is
attached gets moved a few feet from its present location, the OLD cable
will be too long or too short -- needing replacement), I have to *pull*
the old cable out of that bundle and thread a new one in its' place.

You really want the label NOT to change the effective diameter of the
cable.

In the case of densely packed cables like what you have. I've used my wide
labels and put them on the cable longways. If I'm really serious about an
indestructible label, the clear heat shrink comes out of the tool box. I
usually do it before putting the RJ45 connector on the cable but I actually
had some that would slip over the connector and shrink down. I do have some
very handy Ethernet patch cords that have a flashing LED tracer light. If
you have a big bundle of patch cords that you frak with all the time, the
lit jumpers save a lot of time. ^_^

For my network cables, I label each end of the cable with a "stick on"
label as described. I also write (Sharpie) the length of the cable on
the jacket. So, if I need to move a piece of kit, I can make an educated
guess as to how much more/less cable I will need to reach it in its
new location. Then, look at the length written on the *old* cable
and have a good guess as to what length of cable would be appropriate
for the *new* location.

Nothing worse than replacing a cable -- stringing it through all those
cable hangers -- only to discover that you're a foot short!