Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Reusing computer A/C cords?

On 9/3/2015 10:17 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Don Y" wrote in message
On 9/3/2015 5:55 AM, Robert Green wrote:

If the former, no computer cable I've seen should be used. Just
not even current capacity (along with another friction fit point to
cause arcing).

The modular power cord to one of my machines handles its 2200W load...

I hope you're not talking a PC that draws 2200W. That's a lot of juice.

It's a computer. PC has a very specific connotation.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/tips0995.html

A wee bit bigger, heavier, NOISIER and more capable than most "PC's" :

Looks like that unit is designed for 240 volt operation so it only needs
about 10 amps. That makes the wiring size less than it would for 120 volt
operation.

Yes. I think the cords are rated at 16A.

I plug it in place of the electric clothes dryer when I need to use
it. Moving it is a bit of a chore (200+ pounds) so I try to make sure
I *really* need it before doing so! :-/

[And, SWMBO complains vociferously of all the *noise* it makes -- along
with the heat it throws off!]