Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Kenmore refrigerator/top freezer

On 9/2/2015 4:30 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
2001 vintage, model 105.60982991

No hits on gobble. :

The door frame where the freezer door gasket seals against when closed is
hot.

I know this is the defrost cycle, but it stays hot. The fridge works fine.
I am assuming the defrost heater is stuck on.

Any thoughts?

I am thinking I can disconnect the heater and let the fridge run normal,
except for that. Or I can buy a replacement timer or switch if it is simple
and cheap enough.

How to I access the heater wires to disconnect, or the part needing
replacement?

Look on the back of the appliance (or *under* it, if the compresor
hides below) for a schematic in an envelope. It will make clear
what the *intended* connections are. You can then locate the
connection to the heating element, verify that it *only* feeds
the heating element, and disconnect it to verify this is the
problem (ideally, you're disconnecting the hot side and not the
neutral!).

IIRC, the defrost cycle is terminated by a *temperature* sensor
on the freezer coils (when the freezer coils get up above freezing!)