Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default How about a welder for edm power source?

On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 09:01:36 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 16:29:23 -0700 (PDT), SteamboatEd Haas
wrote:

--Did you submerge the operation in a dielectric like mineral oil? It doesn't really work unless the arc is constrained by some sort of goo.

I didn't, based on Huntress' suggestion that the tap burners he used
were run in air. Might try that sometime, but found a commercial edm
shop nearby with a $75 hourly rate that said they could do it in under
an hour, so we'll see. Definitely cheaper than all those caps,
transformers, etc., even surplus.

I am going to invest in a hand tapping machine, though. Well worth
it.

Pete Keillor

Yeah, the basic tap busters were just run in air. An oil dielectric
allows the electrode to get closer for more precise sparking, but it
requires a really good touch (or a decent servo mechanism) to keep the
spark distance in the right range.

Sometimes you can get a used one cheap, I think it's more trouble and
expense to make your own than it's worth.

'Too bad the welder didn't work. I had a feeling that it would be
difficult, but it was worth a try.

--
Ed Huntress