Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof nail extension question

On 9/1/2015 4:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

OK...serious comment:

Everyone is recommending a longer air hose as opposed to

an extension cord, yet no one knows anything about the
circuit that the compressor is currently plugged in to.

For all we know it's 14g wire, 5000' feet from the source.

The voltage drop could already be huge. Let's say you used
a 10' 12g extension cord to move the compressor. Would there
really be much more of a drop, enough to make any difference?

This may be one of those cases where we don't know enough

about the current (pun intended) situation to really offer a
definitive answer. For all we know, there is another receptacle
that is physically farther from the roof but electrically closer
to the source such that even after adding a decent extension
cord there may be less overall voltage drop than you're
getting now.

Just sayin'

I've not been in the house, don't know where is the panel
box. The recepticle we've been using is a two socket
grounded one in the garage. I'd dare to guess it's
probably wired 14 GA on a 15 breaker. But, that's just
guessing. Might even be fuse panel. We don't know.

If I were in charge, I'd have opened a living room window
and plug in at the living room. But, I'm just the foreman
(really; I signed up to be the foreman). No one gives me
any respect.

I don't even know if the job is done, had emergency call
in the other direction. I've not been to the job site
yesterday.

-
..
Christopher A. Young