Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Realistic Security Chain ?

On Tue, 01 Sep 2015 14:44:53 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per :
I don't know where you are but in Florida, salt water will trash a
galvanized chain pretty fast.

This is about 2 years old

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/rusty%20chain.jpg

Wow!.... *That* is impressive....

Alternatives?

When I kept my HobieCat moored off the Outrigger Canoe Club in Hawaii,
we used stainless steel cable and Nico-Press fittings for the mooring
setup that the buoys were anchored to. I used it for a few years and
it was looking pretty good several years after that.

The "Anchor" for this chain will be a 4-foot section of a bigass piling
that's been washed up on the beach for a couple of years now - the
section layed horizontal and buried to about a foot below surface level.

After seeing your pic - and pricing chain - I am thinking about
looping/NicoPressing stainless steel cable (which I already have - old
Hobie rigging) around the piling and attaching chain to cable.

Besides reducing the amount of chain that I have to buy initially, this
would also reduce the number of feet of chain that have to be replaced
after a few years and make replacement less work.

Chain bites the big one: scoop away the sand, cut the bad stuff off,
attach new chain to the cable via one of those pound-in links.

Then the question becomes "What kind of NicoPress sleeves?"....
electrolysis and all that....

OTOH, maybe *I* won't last a few years: Problem Solved..... -)

The kayak place up the street from me secures them with SS cable.
It will stop the casual thief but if they bring tools, there is not
much that will stop them. Nothing will stop a grinder.